Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Reverb10 Posts 4, 5 and 6



Dec. 4: Wonder: How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year? (Author: Jeffrey Davis)
My son's hands. I realize that this might not seem like cultivation exactly, but he DID come from my body and while my baby looks strikingly like his father, those hands are mine. I look at his hands and I'm enthralled, enraptured and even enchanted. When he was born, his hands were curled into a ball and he seemed loath to uncurl them. He immediately grasped fingers but his weak and insecure grip would loosen after a few short minutes. Now, of course, he's much stronger and is constantly grabbing, banging and gripping things with his still tiny hands. They're also frequently found in his mouth. They're beautiful.


Dec. 5: Let Go: What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why? (Author: Alice Bradley)
This year I've had to let go of many things. I've had to let go of the fact that my life will never be the same. I've had to let go of the fact that my marriage will never be the same. Change is good, it's also very hard. Both of those things I mentioned are really for the better. It's good that my life and my marriage will never be the same, but it's also a difficult thing to manage a change that's so very drastic.

Dec. 6: Make: What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it? (Author: Gretchen Rubin)
Ah, technically it was cookies. I made (frozen dough) cookies last night, they were delicious. :) But lets talk about something else I've been making recently. Baby food. I get praised for making my own baby food. I also alternate between feeling super proud of myself and feeling like it's really no big deal. I mean, it is easy at this stage. For example, I steam fresh green beans for 20 minutes, stick them in my little food processor, and push a button. It doesn't really seem like something I should be praised for doing. But I still like that I am. I also recognize that part of my desire to make my own baby food (because lets be honest here, there's plenty of good, organic options out there to buy) is to compensate for the fact that my milk supply started to dry up as soon as I went back to work. Maybe it isn't a big deal, but I think I'll stick with feeling proud. Also, I made a baby but technically the whole "making" part happened last year.

No comments: