Friday, December 17, 2010

#Reverb10 prompts #7 and #8

Dec. 7: Community: Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011? (Author: Cali Harris)
I started watching Community does that count? I kid, I kid...only not really. I suppose I discovered several communities this year, most to do with being a new mother. I also got into Twitter (or was that last year?) and WoW. But, I haven't really connected on any deep level with a community in awhile. I've felt somewhat isolated this year and I do have a deep desire to connect with people. I think that finding a community next year will go hand in hand with finding more about myself. I want to connect with people who actually like me. I know, it's kind of a novel concept. I don't want them to talk to me because my baby is cute or because I play video games. Yes, I have a cute baby (no really, he totally is) and yes I play video games but I want to find someplace to belong on all levels.

Dec. 8: Beautifully Different: Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful. (Author: Karen Walrond)
Hmmm. This is kind of a tough one for me. I don't necessarily feel that I'm all that different from other people. I mean, I guess I am pretty awesome and in general, others like being around me. What makes me the most different, that's hard. What makes me different from one person makes me the same as another. For example, I'm totally geeky. I like playing video games and I'm not ashamed of that. I'm also a chick. A chick who has a baby. And a job. And a husband. Now, I have friends who have jobs, babies and husbands but lack being geeky. So when I'm with them then I have unique and fun differences. But I have other friends who are just as geeky but don't have a baby, or a husband, or boobs.

I'm not sure that this is that great of a prompt actually. I get that we're supposed to recognize what makes us different an unique and embrace it. I know that we should recognize those bits and pieces inside of us that maybe some might scorn or mock and love them. This prompt wants us to think about those things and not be ashamed of them, to stand up in front of a crowd and say "Hey everyone, I'm different and that's okay". Because it IS okay to be different. I just don't think I am, not that much anyway, and that's okay too.

No comments: