Monday, June 23, 2008

Better get moving!

So I spent the weekend at the Froeschle Farm with most of Daren's cousins and all of his aunts and uncles on the (you guessed it) Froeschle side. Anyway back in December I promised Eli and Paul a draft of The Blood of Renatus whenever I'm finished. Eli especially is an avid reader of all things-especially fantasy-and it was nice to talk about my book with someone in the family that wanted to hear about details and who cared about the fantasy aspects. So pretty much the first words out of Eli's mouth to me were "So how's your book coming along? You promised you'd email me the draft remember?" Yes Eli, I remember!

I had to explain that I stopped working on it for a few months due to some unfortunate and fortunate happenings in life. Mainly the whole apartment collapsing fiasco and the subsequent house buying funness. There is nothing like a push from someone other than your husband or best friend truly interested in what your doing to make you feel motivated. It felt good to have someone ask me about it who I know isn't asking simply to make conversation. I also introduced him to Brandon Sanderson while I was down there as I'm STILL reading Mistborn. So hurrah there! :)

In other news, I nervously emailed the wonderful George RR Martin today. I've had a few (brief) messages back and forth with Brandon Sanderson before but that didn't make me any less nervous to contact the illustrious Mr. Martin. I guess I shouldn't be nervous about that kind of thing but to a fan of reading and writing and all things literary it's the same thing as talking to a movie star. If (hopefully when) he writes back I'm pretty sure that's one email I'll never delete.

Also I wanted to mention that Daren and I watched No Country For Old Men on Friday. Now I'm not going to write a review nor will I post any spoilers. All I want to say is that this movie ranks only slightly above The Fountain. This is not a good thing. The Fountain was arguably the worst movie I've ever seen. That includes all of the horrible, cheesy kung-fu movies from the 80's that I love to watch. Seriously...why in the world did No Country for Old Men win Best Picture?

2 comments:

ditty said...

You know, I felt perplexed or at least disappointed in a lot of the 2007 Oscar nods/winners. No Country for Old Men is one I haven't seen, but I was truly disappointed when Sweeney Todd was passed over for a best picture nod. Sweeney beat Juno for the Golden globe, but Juno got the Oscar nom. Disappointing. And the worst of all? Tim Burton being snubbed in the director category! Heinous!

And while Daniel Day-Lewis gave a transformational performance, I honestly thought his character was the least captivating out of the four movies I managed to see. I think I've made my love for Sweeney Todd clear, but I was really impressed with Viggo Mortensen's turn in Eastern Promises as well. Same thing with Best Actress. Helena Bonham Carter got snubbed in favor of equally talented actresses in less-captivating roles.

But that's kind of par for the course with the Oscars. I could go on, but I think I've taken up enough of your comment space. Needless to say, popular opinion is not always (some might say rarely) on par with the Academy's.

Unknown said...

Does Eli know about your blog? Maybe you should let him know about it so that he can read excerpts and so he'll know how the book's coming along.

Plus it will be one more reader who's interested in your book.