Thursday, June 19, 2008

Silly characters!

So as many of you know but some of you don't I recently reorganized the entire beginning of my novel adding three chapters. So now my original chapter 1 is chapter 4. I can't even tell you how much better it is this way. I was trying to cram so much information into the original chapter 1 that it felt bogged down and boring and pleh. I tend to struggle with info-dumping and while I know I'm still doing it in the new Chapter 1 it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. Although that unfortunately or fortunately means a huge bit of editing now for chapter 4.

Well I was working the other night on new chapter 2 which happens to be a Shay chapter. Shay has always been one of my favorite characters to write. She's so easy compared to writing the moodiness that is Rafe or Katze. Light hearted and bubbly she tends to be a much happier character than the rest of my lot. It's such a great contrast to me and hopefully to the reader because Shay is an "enemy" priestess but she's so much more normal than the "good" guys. Of course don't make assumptions, everything changes.

But the weirdest thing happened. I was writing a scene in which Shay had just woken up from having passed out. Her "good" brother Saif was comforting her and then in walks her "bad" brother Savitr. Now Shay, my nice and sweet Shay is really really mean to Savitr and i can't decide what to do about it. She was mean to him and now he's being unforgivably mean back (because that's what he does the wanker). My problem here is that I don't actually want any sympathy to be garnered for Savitr, he's cruel and mean and doesn't care that he's cruel and mean. Shay is supposed to have all the sympathy! But when I go look at that scene i think "wow, Shay baited him and I actually feel sorry for him. I bet his siblings ganged up on him a lot and that's why he's so nasty." Thoughts like that shouldn't occur!

At the same time, however, it wouldn't even be remotely realistic to have Shay actually be nice to Savitr, plus he does deserve it. So I'm torn between how to make Shay (in her first appearance) her normal nice self and still be condescending to her brother. She is a bit of a spitfire which lands her in quite a bit of trouble but it's supposed to be spunky not crass. I have enough of that to deal with in my other characters (I'm talking to you Katze, your royal moodiness!).

Any thoughts from fellow writers out there who understand that sometimes the characters do whatever they want even if it doesn't fit?

2 comments:

ditty said...

On first draft, the characters get more free reign than they do when you edit, I think. First draft is about getting your story down. Second draft and beyond, you get to deal with making sure your characters act and speak consistently. For now, let Shay get her bitch on, and keep writing! :-)

Unknown said...

Maybe if Savitr does something to her first that would justify her being mean? Then us readers would understand why Shay is treating him the way she is.