Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Despondant and an Excerpt

So I've been feeling fairly depressed the past couple days. It's hard to explain really but sometimes when a person is undertaking such a monumental task (i.e. writing a novel) it becomes overwhelming. Lately my mind has been thinking about all the things I should know to get into the industry. I should know publishers and agents, I should be up to date on what said publishers and agents are looking for. But I'm not and it's been getting me down a little bit.

Of course none of that impacts my story whatsoever and while my goal is to be published eventually I'm not going to write my books based on what the industry wants today because it could and probably will change tomorrow.

So that being said I figure I'll go ahead and post Chapter 1 of The Blood of Renatus. Please keep in mind that this is a ROUGH draft and although I've gone through it several times and haven't noticed any glaringly obvious errors I'm sure some of you will. Posting it here in no way means it's polished and publishable but that being said I am quite happy with this chapter even if it is a little longer than it probably should be (it's about 5700 words). So there you have it, I hope it doesn't have too many errors!

2 comments:

ditty said...

The horse goes before the cart, my dear. ;-) Don't forget that. Knowing all the publishers and agents in the world won't help at this point if you don't have a story written.

Good for you for posting an excerpt! I'll get to it soon.

Unknown said...

Congratulations, honey, on posting your first excerpt of The Blood of Renatus!

I'm very proud of you and you should keep it going, keep it going full steam.

btw, is the excerpt different from what I've read?